Sunday, October 15, 2017

Malachi and I by JJ McAvoy........ review by Dawn










35988553


A Contemporary Mystical Romance 

What if I told you the greatest love stories ever told—Cleopatra and Mark Antony, Salim and Anarkali, Romeo and Juliet and so many more—are far greater tragedies than anyone has ever realized? 

What if I told you that you haven’t been reading a new story… just a new chapter in one epic saga? 

If I told you…all of those lovers…were actually the same two souls seeking their happily ever after over and over again, would you believe me? 

Would you believe them? 
Born again, 
Love again, 
Part again, 
Was their curse. 

In this modern era, will they find eternal love or will they be doomed to repeat the cycle forever? 




 I  often use the word "smart" when I am referring to Ms. McAvoy 's writing, and so is the case with Malachi and I .
What a wonderful trip through time, visiting the original love stories that have spanned time. There are certain bullet points that I like to be checked off when I am reading and reviewing a book . This one meets,and exceeds most of them.
We get just enough angst to keep going, wondering how it is going to pan out.
The vivid picture Ms.McAvoy painted with her spot on storytelling and her natural ability to paint a clear picture.
Esther is so captivated by Malachi's stories, not knowing that they are a retelling of lives he has lived. She is so funny in the first half of the book, I laughed so much. Oh, but Malachi, he broke my heart! The retelling of his past lives, although BRILLIANT writing... My heart was so heavy and hurting for poor Malachi. The flashbacks were the high point of this story, so wonderfully written. I wish there had been more.
Esther's character grows throughout the book and that NEEDED to happen. She was a bit aloof at times and that didn't sit well with me. I loved that she became more, serious throughout the second half of the story. The heartbreaking stories that Malachi retold her were like torture. I was deeply moved by the way it played out.
The midway point in this story was a bit lagging, but it is brought back to life in the second portion of the book.I did miss the "hot factor" in this book, but really was this the book for that kind of thing?
I did enjoy this but I do honestly believe there is a definite audience for this book. I would say the 16-25 age range, with a vivid imagination, a lover of fairy tales, with a splash of angst!

4 Clocks 
Based on my honest review, book provided by
NetGalley






No comments:

Post a Comment