Saturday, May 13, 2017

Buns: The Hudson Valley Series by Alice Clayton....Review by Dawn







Synopsis

Clara Morgan is living the dream, if you can call rebranding hotels that are desperate for a new life and running any kind of marathon a dream. Which she does. But the career she loves and the endurance races that keep her adrenaline pumping have kept her too busy to put down any roots. Growing up in foster care, she’s never been able to establish traditions of her own, which may be why she’s fascinated by the rituals that generations-old family resorts are known for. She’s especially interested in the Bryant Mountain House, and not just for their secret recipe for the yummy, gooey, can’t-get-enough-of Hot Cross Buns….

Archie Bryant, the man with the Buns, is fifth generation and one-day-owner of the charming yet run-down Bryant Mountain House in Bailey Falls, New York. He’s determined to save his family’s legacy from the wrecking ball the old-fashioned way—by gritting his teeth and doing what needs to be done. There’s no way Archie will be influenced by the new hotel branding expert his father brought in to turn one hundred and fifty years of tradition on its head just to attract a faster, younger, slicker crowd. But when some of Clara’s ideas start bringing in new, paying customers, Archie can’t deny that she may have just given him a shot at keeping his resort open.




Review

I have read the two previous books in this series Nuts and Cream of the Crop, which I just loved! Buns, well it fell a little flat for me.  
I remember in the other stories I cracked up and laughed so much. This story did have it's humorous moments, but I found that most of those occurred when Roxie and Natalie were around. Clara and Archie had chemistry, and I loved that the arguing let to love and some pretty implosive heavy making out. Again, it lacked in the sexiness for me.
The picture that Ms. Clayton painted was stunning. I could picture the Bryant Mountain Home perfectly. I really loved Clara being dedicated to her work and her love for helping these businesses that hired her. Archie was so funny when he let go. I loved his stuffy buttoned up structured type, playing off of Clara's bossy nature. That was for me, what worked best in this book. 
Clara's past was present every waking moment and sometimes it felt a bit suffocating. BUT, understandable her life was not easy and it haunted her. Much like Archie's haunted him. I really enjoyed that he was willing to let go and take the next step only to be met with Clara running.... again. 
I was hoping for more fun, and there is some, just not what I am use to from Ms. Clayton.  I honestly can not remember if Clara ever did taste the Hot Cross Buns, I'm not sure if that was an oversight on my part or if it never happened.   

I received an ARC for my honest review
4 Clocks


No comments:

Post a Comment